Monday, March 10, 2008

More Drawings, This Time Something Different

Well, I actually managed to draw something besides Otis for a change. I'm not sure what the title is, but here is a recreation of a Japanese woodprint by Hokusai Katsushika, who is perhaps best known for The Great Wave off Kanagawa. This piece probably dates back to the early 1800s. For the barbarians out there, these kind of woodprints are from a school of art called ukiyo-e or "floating world." They tend to be rather stylized rather than realistic, in part due to the nature of printing with woodblocks.

4 comments:

m said...

Wow! How long does it take you to draw something like this? And Otis?

Dave said...

Also doubles as an homage to Gary Gygax.

Peter said...

Mindy- some of my stuff is 'texture intensive' so it can take a while, somewhere between four and eight hours.

Dave- yeah, I guess he didn't make that final savings throw...

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy on the eyes
which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often.
Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Fantastic work!



Here is my web site instant insurance quotes