Thursday, September 14, 2006

Banana Bread

Well, as a couple of you know I am off work today. In addition to working on my blog, I am baking some banana bread. I have posted the recipe below, although you can find it in most basic cookbooks. If you don't make banana bread often, there are two things you need to know that you probably won't find in a cookbook. One, the bananas should be very ripe, close to being rotten. Second, baking bread takes a long time - have at least two hours.

Ingredients:
3 bananas, very ripe
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F
2. Mix the bananas and the eggs in a bowl
3. Stir in the flour, sugar, and baking soda and blend
4. Stir in the walnuts
5. Grease a baking pan, around 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch
6. Pour the batter into the ban and bake for 1 hour
7. Remove from the pan to a rack for cooling

Today, on special request, I am actually making banana chocolate bread, by substituting a similar quantity of chocolate chips for the walnuts. I will let you know how it turns out. I'm sure you are waiting with baited breath...

5 comments:

m said...

Are you going to bring some banana bread to Carlson tonight, because I could really use some. This post made me hungry. But not for that walnut-filled crap; I'll take plain or chocolate, thanks!

Peter said...

Mmmm, I just had two slices and it is de-licious. I don't have class tonight but are welcome to come over and have some. Not sure if it goes well with beer...

Peter said...

Loaf of Banana Bread: a great way to combine your daily intake of potassium with 1500 calories of sugar and flour.

christine said...

So domestic. Blogging and baking. What's next?

Peter said...

We have many talents here at Peter Unzipped.