Friday, September 15, 2006

No Blog For You!

Well gang, I'm off to Canandaigua Lake to spend a long weekend with the family. This means I will not be able to put any posts up until at least Wednesday. But never fear true believers I will be working on upcoming articles for your entertainment.

For those of you who are not familiar with Canandaigua it is one of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York. My mom rented a cabin there, and my grandad and aunt will be there, as well as my brother and his wife for Saturday. In Seneca, Canandaigua means "chosen spot." It makes you wonder whether any of the Indian tribes ever gave a place a bad sounding name. You never hear anyone say "oh, the name of our town means 'crappy cesspool' in Ojibwa." I guess they were just optimistic. I'll give them more credit than the settlers. When they weren't ripping off the natives, they decided to name everything either New whatever, Berlin, or New Berlin. It's a good thing we are running out of places to build more cities. Otherwise, by 2100 we'd start seeing cities like New New New York.

This trip has not gotten off to a great start and I haven't gone anywhere yet. Northwest cancelled my original flight and now I am leaving at 8:00. The phone message said it was due to "weather conditions," which from here can currently be described by adjectives such as "nice" and "sunny." I'll give Northwest credit though at least they called. Hopefully the airport won't be too packed. Fortunately I've got things to keep me occupied: blog-related stuff, homework, and a book (BTW I'll probably review it later).

No comments: