Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Game, Set, Match.com (Sorry I'm running out of word plays on "match")

Alright true believers, here are the last of the "multiple choice" answers on my profile.

EXPRESS YOURSELF
This is an odd name for a section that doesn't let you free-hand anything.

Where is your home town?
Country United States
States/Provinces Minnesota (Wisconsin)
Cities Minneapolis (Madison)
I can't remember if this which "home town" this refers to.

Tell us about your brothers or sisters? Are you? The youngest
And the best-looking according to mom. Again, it's kind of odd to have a question that asks you to talk about your siblings but only let's you put down your birth order. I think I'll just leave this one blank now that I think about it.

Are you an early bird or night owl? Neither

Do you sing or play a musical instrument? --

What is your favorite color? No Answer
I don't see color, I only see people. Seriously though I don't have a favorite color. I would avoid people who's favorite color is orange - apparently that is the color of mental instability.

ABOUT MY DATE
I only want to see mutual matches who have photos: Check
There are only a couple reasons I can think of for not posting a photo, none of them are good.

How tall should she be? From 3 feet 0 inches to 8 feet 0 inches.
Despite the mockery Steff received, "from 3 feet 0 inches to 8 feet 0 inches" is actually Match-speak for "I Don't Care." Unfortunately there is no "I Don't Care" option. I think very few people would honestly date someone 8 feet tall, but it would be very difficult to determine an actual cutoff point.

What color eyes do you like to stare into? Any (Importance: Not Very)
Seriously, who cares? I can't believe so many people list specific eye colors. I mean as long as they aren't like black or something, why does it matter?

What kind of hair do you like to run your fingers through? Any (Importance: Not Very)
I'm okay with short hair. Whatever works for your face. Or was this talking about colors?

Are you looking for certain body types? Slender, Athletic and toned, A few extra pounds, About average, Curvy (Importance: Somewhat)
Sorry but I can't date someone who is significantly overweight. It's almost a guarantee there will be no attraction, and usually there is a lot of other side issues.

Certain ethnicities? Any (Importance: Not Very)
If you have ever read Freaknomics (which is frankly overrated, but it does have some good parts) there is a section on online dating and ethnicity. I'll have to post on that later. I can't say I don't have preferences, but since basically everyone on Match in Minneapolis is white, it's kind of a moot point.

What's her faith? Any (Importance: Not Very)
As long as you don't try to recruit me into your crazy-ass cult, you can worship Zoroaster for all I care.

Are you picky about her education? Any (Importance: Somewhat)
This was a tough one. I place a lot of value on smarts but there are a lot of ways to pick them up besides formal education. I'm considering upping this one to "college" pending feedback.

What languages should she speak? English (Importance: Not Very)
Not that speaking English isn't important, you know what I mean.

Looking for particular professions? Any (Importance: Not Very)
Why isn't there an option for "dominatrix?"

How much money should she make? Any (Importance: Not Very)

Do you want your dates to smoke? No Way (Importance: Absolutely)
Hell to the no.

How often do your dates drink? Any (Importance: Not Very)
Only three choices here, so it's hard to nail down.

Are you looking for someone who's previously been married or in a committed relationship? -- (Importance: Not Very)

Does your match have any children? Any (Importance: Somewhat)
Hmm, this was a tough one. I think this may also be fodder for another blog post.

Should she want kids? Any (Importance: Somewhat)
The real problem with women who constantly talk about wanting to have kids is that you will always worry that they "settled" for you just to have kids. That and they have a tendency to talk to you in a baby voice a lot.

What turns you on... and off?
Turn ons: Brainiacs, Candlelight, Dancing, Flirting, Sarcasm, Thunderstorms
Turn offs: --
Again, not a great list to choose from.

Describe yourself and your perfect match to our community (4000 characters)
Coming later.

You dating headline (140 characters)
Coming later.

P.S. I apparently have solved the picture upload problem, which apparently was related to the forced-to-log-in-every-time-I-did-anything problem.

4 comments:

m said...

I'm looking forward to the Freakonomics discussion about online dating and ethnicity. I ordered that book, I just haven't read it yet. Speaking of, have I RECEIVED it? Shit, amazon.com might be hearing from me today.

Anyway, I think you should put something down for education. I don't like when a man has no standards about that. But maybe I'm a snob?

m said...

You are the first person I've ever heard who cares about your mate's favorite color. Where did you find that orange = insanity or whatever?

Peter said...

Well, if you want you can cancel your order and borrow my copy. I'll go with "college" for the education question.

As far as orange, I reviewed the psychology of colors a couple years back when I was painting my bedroom. I found two sources that said orange was the color of mental instability. And I didn't say that I care about other people's favorite color.

m said...

Which means that you don't care about mental stability...very nice. It's overrated anyway, in my opinion.

Found my copy of that book, Amazon is still ok. Thanks for the offer, though.