Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Same, Just Different


















Well I went out on a limb again and drew another one of Mindy's animals, Kisa (whom hopefully you can tell is a cat). I have to say that drawing Kisa is much harder than Otis, for a number of reasons:

1) While Otis has three basic colors (black, white, and a little pink), Kisa's fur alone has many shades of tans, browns, and grays, plus pink around the ears and several greens and some blue in her eyes. Armed only with my Crayola 64-pack it wasn't quite possible for me to replicate the exact colors but hopefully I came pretty close.

2) The texture of Kisa's fur lends itself to a medium like painting, where it is fairly easy to layer a light on top of dark; for example, whiskers or the areas of fur where it looks kinda frosted.

3) Unlike Otis' sleek fur, Kisa has almost no distinct lines except her eyes - which means pretty much everything has to be drawn as a texture.

4) I have access to fewer pictures of Kisa. Of course, maybe she could help out by making funnier facial expressions or dressing up in outfits more often.

3 comments:

m said...

I'd like to put a dress on Kisa, but her claws have prevented me from doing so to date. She is 8 years old, I'm thinking it won't get any easier.

Awesome drawing!

Dave said...

Well, I know what I want for my birthday...a drawing of one of my animals. You'll be happy to know that I have about ten million pictures of them.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've
worked hard on. Any recommendations?

my site cheap car insurance in kentucky