Monday, March 12, 2007

The Running of the Pete

Today's warm weather was celebrated by the annual Running of the Pete, the first run of the year. Coincidentally, tomorrow is the celebration of Sore Quadriceps Awareness Day. The first run of the year is always a tough one, but I somehow managed to plug away the five or so miles. I'm not sure what it is about running, but no matter how much spinning or flopping around on elliptical machine you've been doing you are never really prepared for that first run. For me it's always mile two that sucks - that stretch between getting warmed up and the endorphins kicking in.

Seeing that I was running around the river, as you might have guessed there were a number of puddles, piles of snow, etc. that needed to be run around, over, and through. Although it's never really fun to run in soaking wet shoes, it did kind of remind me of my cross country days running through muddy courses.

2 comments:

m said...

Happy Sore Quadriceps Awareness Day!

Peter said...

Ugh. I forgot about the tight calves and upper back.